I have enjoyed gardening for at least 30 years and enjoy sharing my experience with others. Gardening is my time to meditate and unwind.
The Peruvian lily, tiger lily, daylily and Easter lily are all classified as nontoxic to dogs. While these types of lilies may be classified as nontoxic, they can still cause unpleasant reactions in a dog. The introduction of any new, novel foods into any pet’s diet can cause GI upset.
Symptoms of Daylily Poisoning in Dogs
Because daylilies arent toxic to dogs, your pup wont show any symptoms if they lick or ingest any part of the plant. However, cats who ingest daylilies may experience the following symptoms:
A number of lilies from different botanical families are toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and hypersalivation in varying degrees of seriousness. If you suspect your dog has eaten lilies and is exhibiting signs of poisoning, call the vet. It may be helpful to be able to identify the specific type lily the dog ate. Many of the plants we commonly call lilies, scientifically speaking, are not actually lilies, including the Dracaena commonly sold as a houseplant that goes by the name palm lily. True lilies belong to the genus Lilium.
Lilies in the amaryllis family, including belladonna lilies, Saint Joseph and naked lady, contain lycorine, an alkaloid toxic to dogs, cats and horses that is also found in daffodils (Narcissus spp.). The calcium oxalates in calla lilies and trumpet lilies are also toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Climbing lilies, also called gloriosa, are particularly poisonous. Ingestion can cause bloody vomiting, shock and organ damage. Lily of the valley contains the steroid cardenolide, which can cause coma and seizures.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), daylilies (Hemerocallis spp.) are not poisonous to dogs. Cultivars of other genera are commonly called lilies, and some of them are poisonous to dogs, cats and humans. True daylilies are hardy in USDA zones 3a to 9a.
There is so much variety in color, size and shape in daylilies that it’s difficult to establish a single appearance standard. Stalks, or scapes, has grass-like leaves topped with large, fragrant flowers that range in color from white to purple to bicolor. Plants grow up to 4 feet tall, and the trumpet-shaped blooms last only one day. Some daylily petals are wide or have ruffled edges, while spider varieties have narrow petals. According to the NC State Extension, the flower tastes like zucchini or cucumber and can be eaten raw or cooked.
New plants, bred for color, durability and the ability to withstand different climates, are added to the list of the more than 35,000 daylily cultivars registered annually. Once established, the rugged perennials thrive for years with little care. The earliest cultivars became dormant during the winter, but there are now evergreen daylilies like wind frills and Joan senior that remain green year-round.
Daylilies are prized for their flowers which come in various colors and shapes depending on the variety. They are a popular landscaping plant that will come back year after year. Daylilies or Hemerocallis are safe for humans and dogs but are poisonous for cats. Ingesting Daylilies can be fatal for cats.
Daylilies are not poisonous to dogs, so it is safe to plant Daylilies in areas your canine companions can access. If they eat Daylilies, dogs may experience an upset stomach, but they should not have severe symptoms, and it is not fatal. While the flowers do bear a resemblance, Daylilies (Hemerocallis) are not true Lilies (Lilium), and Lilies are poisonous to dogs.
What happens if a dog eats daylilies?
Are daylilies poisonous to pets?
Are daylily leaves poisonous?