Can Ramen Noodles Be Made Successfully at Home?
You most likely have all the ingredients in your pantry to make homemade ramen noodles from scratch. This is an eggless Japanese ramen noodle recipe and needs only 3 ingredients.
To make fresh ramen at home, all you need is:
To use baking soda to make ramen noodles, you must first bake it in the oven for one hour. Click here for my instructions on how to make *baked* baking soda and why alkaline agents are essential to making ramen noodles.
After you’ve mastered making ramen noodles from scratch, you can serve it with my Tonkotsu ramen with braised pork belly.
Homemade Ramen noodles that have the perfect bite. Make a bit batch and freeze the extras after they are cut for a quick ramen shortcut next time!
Original Recipe by No Recipes!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What are Ramen Noodles?
Ramen is a type of Japanese noodle made from wheat flour. In Japan, ramen is eaten freshly made, not like the inexpensive packets of instant noodles (you know, the ones that are 10¢ a packet?) which are deep-fried and full of MSG.
Ramen originated from China: the term “ramen” may have been derived from the Chinese words for pulled noodles (“la mian”) because Chinese noodles were traditionally pulled by hand. Another theory is that “ramen was derived from Chinese “lo mien” which is boiled noodles tossed with sauce.
How do you make homemade noodles without a machine?
The general workflow
- Combine flour, water and salt to form a dough then rest for half an hour.
- Flatten the dough into a thin sheet with a rolling pin.
- Fold the sheet then cut into narrow strips. Unfold and loosen the noodles.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water.
How do you dry homemade ramen noodles?
- Add lye water or baked baking soda to warm water to make an alkaline solution.
- Add alkaline solution to the flour; mix and squish dough into a ball.
- Rest dough 30 minutes.
- “Knead” 2-3 minutes with rolling pin.
- Roll dough flat with pasta machine.
- Cut dough into long strips of noodles.