Trumpet Vine Poisonous To Dogs

Are Trumpet Flowers Poisonous To Dogs? The beautiful trumpet flower is a popular decoration in many homes, but did you know that these flowers can be poisonous to dogs? Trumpet flowers contain a chemical called lycorine, which is toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death. If you have a trumpet flower in your home, make sure to keep it out of reach of your furry friends!

Angel’s Trumpets are a common sight in gardens. When dogs eat it, they become extremely toxic. Because seeds contain the entire plant, they are especially dangerous to animals when eaten. Even though most lily species are non-toxic, some of them can still be harmful. Honey honeysuckle flowers have no health risks for the body as a whole. The angel’s trumpet contains a number of poisonous alkaloids, including atropine and hyoscyamine. When plants are chewed, they can cause hallucinations, paralysis, tachycardia, and even death. The lilies are toxic to cats, but some lilies are even toxic to dogs. If dogs eat lilies, the leaves, flowers, or roots, they may vomit, diarrhea, slow their heart rate, cause severe heart arrhythmias, seizures, and even die.

The toxic effect of trumpet lilies on dogs and other small animals is caused by their insoluble calcium oxalates, which they use as a defense mechanism. Mouth contact or ingestion usually occurs shortly, and toxicity can be severe depending on how much is consumed.

Angel’s trumpets are toxic because they contain the alkaloids atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine. When the plants are consumed, they can cause hallucinations, paralysis, tachycardia, and memory loss, as well as death.

Dogs cannot digest the plant’s toxic compounds, such as cyanogenic glycosides and carotenoids, resulting in the toxicity of the honeysuckle vine, flower, and berry.

Angel’s Trumpet is a common flower many people have in their gardens due to them being aesthetically pleasing. However, this plant is toxic to dogs when ingested. If you see your pet chewing on this plant or believe they may have ingested some, take your pet to the veterinarian immediately.

Need a vine to cover a 8 cinder block wall in Fullerton, CA. August 23, 2010 – Hi- I have a 8 cinder block wall that gets full sun, and need to find either a flowering shrub that would cover, or a vine that wouldnt be to hard to manage, or would not need to use a trellis…. view the full question and answer

Seed planting of Crossvine from Orlando FL September 12, 2011 – Seed planting of Bignonia capreolata – Tangerine Beauty. I have seed pods. Do I plant how deep and should I put in a plastic bag with a wet papertowel in the refrigerator and let it sprout? … view the full question and answer

Vine for full sun in Las Vegas NV July 05, 2013 – Looking for vine to thrive in full sun in Las Vegas, NV. I tried Cape Honeysuckle and Star Jasmine and both died within 5 days. The leaves were burnt. Whats your suggestion? Thank you. view the full question and answer

Plant identification for vine in Kentucky April 26, 2010 – Need to know the name of a plant. It grows in Eastern KY, south WVA and West VA. It grows alone riverbanks and creeks. It is a weed, in the spring it has a white bloom and bees work it like crazy. … view the full question and answer


The large vines tend to attract bees, mostly honey bees. These vines are not that poisonous to the bees. It is a favorite of the bees.

Trumpet vine flowers:

The flowers of the trumpet is large and looks appealing. But the flower is very much toxic. Though bees are not harmed by it but it is best to stay away from the consumption of the flower of the vine. The petals of the flower are also toxic enough to cause damage.


What kind of vines are poisonous to dogs?

Trumpet vine is mildly toxic to people and animals, causing digestive upset if eaten. 1 It can also cause mild skin irritation when handled.

What is the most toxic plant to dogs?

Vines Dogs Should Avoid

Clematis: A common vine, the clematis plant contains an irritating glycoside that can cause drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea when ingested, according to Pet Poison Helpline. Fortunately, it has a bitter taste that is displeasing to dogs. Ivy: Most types of ivy are usually mildly toxic to dogs.

Related Posts