How long to cook beef stew in a crockpot
When using a crockpot, cook on low for 9-10 hours, medium 7-8 hours, and high 6-7 hours.
How long to cook beef stew in an instant pot
Once you’ve sauteed the veggies and browned the beef and you are ready to close the lid of the instant pot, it takes about 30-35 minutes on HIGH for the stew to cook through and become tender.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BEEF STEW
Lets first talk about how we made this easy vegetable beef stew recipe.
- Preheat oven: While prepping everything else preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Prep Beef: Season the beef chunks on all sides with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the flour over and toss the seasoned beef to coat it on all sides.
- Heat Skillet: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. If you don’t have a dutch oven, use an oven-safe skillet/pot that has a cover.
- Partially cook beef: Brown the beef in batches, on all sides, for 3-4 minutes per batch. Don’t worry about cooking the beef all the way through at this stage. Transfer the browned beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add other ingredients: Then add the onions, garlic, and carrots to the Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned. Add the potatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce, and use a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Mix and simmer: Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring, and return the beef to the pot.
- Cook in Oven: Cover the Dutch oven (pot), and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook the stew for 2-2.5 hours, or until the beef is very tender. Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve: Taste the stew and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve warm.
Note: To finish cooking this beef stew on the stovetop, cover the pot and let it simmer for 60-90 using medium to low heat. Check it occasionally to see if the beef is tender using a fork and add some broth or water if the sauce starts to dry out.
Rating 5.0 (455) · 2 hr 45 minMay 15, 2020 · Ingredients · 2 lbs Beef Chuck Roast cut into 2-inch chunks, excess fat removed · 1 Tsp Kosher Salt · ½ Tsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper · 2
What is the secret to good stew?
What gives beef stew the best flavor?
How to cook stew beef so it’s tender?