My Chuck Roast in the Oven Recipe is a perfect family dinner or special occasion meal. Its easy to prep in just 15 minutes, then cooks low and slow in the oven all in one pot. Fall-apart tender and complete with carrots and potatoes, this easy pot roast for dinner is a meal youll want to make for your family again and again.
The Best Roasts for Tender Pot Roast
The best pot roast is made with the right cut of beef. For pot roast choose meat with nice marbling throughout and cook it low and slow. Tougher cuts will become fork tender.
- boneless beef chuck roast (my favorite choice)
- round roast
- rump roast
How to Cook a Roast
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Season the beef on all sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, place the butter and vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once hot and the butter is melted, add the seasoned beef and sear until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Toss together the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, and rosemary in the pan. Allow cooking, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place the seared beef back in the pan and top with the beef stock and add bay leaves.
- Cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook until the beef is tender and shreds easily about 4 hours.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Serve hot with desired sides.
- To make a thicker gravy:
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour with 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth.
- Remove beef and vegetables from the Dutch Oven and set them aside to rest.
- Bring the broth in the Dutch Oven to a boil, and whisk in the flour mixture a little bit at a time until thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Replace wine with more beef broth or grape juice if desired.
- Try using my pot roast seasoning.
How to Make Pot Roast Gravy
Turn the sauce into a great pot roast gravy in only 3 steps!
- Whisk two tablespoons of corn starch in cold water until smooth (this is called a slurry).
- Remove beef and veggies the broth and bring to a simmer. You should have about two cups, add more beef broth if needed.
- Whisk the slurry into the simmering broth until thickened.
Rating 4.6 (746) · 2 hr 30 minMar 8, 2023 · Cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and continue cooking until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. An
How long does it take to cook a chuck roast?
Should you cook chuck roast at 325 or 350?
How long do you cook a 2.5 lb roast at 350 degrees?
Is it better to cook chuck roast on high or low?