When we’re talking about cheap & easy dinners, ground beef reigns supreme. It’s versatile, quick-cooking, and great for when you’ve got a crowd to feed. If you’re not careful though, it can become a little one-note. Have some on hand and not sure what to make with it? Look no further! From classics like meatloaf to creative meals like totchos, we’ve got you covered. There’s something here to please any and every appetite.
Let’s start with the classics. Though we’re all for trying new things or putting spins on our favorites, you’ve gotta walk before you can run. We’ve tested our recipes for things like stuffed peppers, goulash, sloppy Joes, Salisbury steak, meatballs, chili, and more over and over again to guarantee they’re the best and the most reliable they can be. Trust us, you’re going to want to bookmark these.
How to Make Ground Beef and Potatoes
Not only is this ground beef skillet sure to be embraced by everyone at your table, but it’s also easy to make and quick to clean up.
You can cook ground beef and vegetables together in the same skillet, leaving you just one pan to wash in the end.
- Lean Ground Beef. The flavorful and scrumptious meat for this dish. I don’t typically use oil with ground beef (the fat in the beef is sufficient enough for it to cook without sticking), but if your beef is ultra lean and your pan seems dry at any point, you can drizzle in a bit of oil to prevent sticking.
For more great ground beef recipes, check out Ground Beef Dinner Ideas.
- Potatoes. Tender cubed potatoes are a slam dunk pairing with the ground beef (or mash them with ground beef like in Shepherd’s Pie). They’re nutritious, crowd-pleasing, and pair beautifully with the spices in this dish.
- Red Bell Pepper. Adds a touch of color, freshness, and sweetness.
- Worcestershire Sauce. Gives the dish depth and umami flavor.
- Dijon Mustard. Its tanginess pairs wonderfully with the potatoes.
- Spices. A blend of smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano elevates this dish from bland to something truly craveable.
- Hot Sauce. For a delicious kick! Use a lot or use a little to fit your taste preferences.
- Sauté the potatoes in oil.
- Brown the beef with the vegetables, Worcestershire, mustard, spices, and hot sauce.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked through. Add the green onions. Serve as desired and ENJOY!
Serve ground beef and potatoes with a Merlot, Pinot Noir, or Chardonnay.
- To Store. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm beef and potatoes in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- To Freeze. I do not recommend freezing this dish, as potatoes can have a mealy texture when thawed.
- I love to serve leftovers as a hash by re-crisping the ingredients in a skillet, then topping them with a fried egg. You could also turn leftovers into a scramble by mixing in scrambled eggs instead.
- Turn your leftovers into a portable meal by wrapping them into a whole wheat tortilla. Make sure to warm the filling up first. (Adding some cheese to the wrap would be scrumptious.)
Mexican Beef ‘N’ Rice Skillet
Is there anything better than a one-skillet meal? We don’t think so, particularly if it’s as family-friendly and quick as this one, featuring spiced ground beef, flavorful rice, hearty beans, and lots of cheese. It all comes together in just 40 minutes with minimal prep too!
Get the Mexican Beef N Rice Skillet recipe.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
A classic nostalgic comfort dish, goulash is the hearty weeknight dinner well always crave. The best thing about it? Everything cooks together in one pot—even the pasta!
Get the Goulash recipe.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
If youre craving a reliable, nostalgic, easy (and cheap) weeknight dinner, then there’s no debate: A sloppy Joes’ night is in order. Our tried-and-tested recipe uses the unstoppable trio—ground beef, tomato flavors, and onion—to create a flavor-packed meal that’s for way more than just sandwiches.
Get the Sloppy Joes recipe.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
Cabbage rolls just became a viable weeknight dinner with this quicker to make skillet dinner, which skips the rolling and gets dinner directly on the table. It’s less work, yet the payoff of a comforting home-cooked meal all the same.
Get the Cabbage Roll Skillet recipe.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
While many chili recipes call for simmering for at least an hour (sometimes even more), our best-ever beef chili can be made in just 40 minutes. If you’re looking for the most classic version to come home to after a long day, then this is the recipe for you.
Get the Classic Chili recipe.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
One-pot taco spaghetti is a fast-as-can-be weeknight dinner that pairs all your favorite taco fixin’s with spaghetti rather than taco shells. Everything comes together in one pot—from browning the beef to simmering the sauce, even boiling the spaghetti!
Get the Taco Spaghetti recipe.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
If youre unfamiliar, the draw of a smash burger is its SUPER thin patties. Because they are so slim, its impossible for the ground beef to dry out, but you still get those deliciously crispy, lacy edges. Win win!
Get the Smash Burgers recipe.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
A Simple Ground Beef Dinner Recipe
Lean ground beef is a versatile protein.
It’s healthy in moderation (beef is packed with protein, iron, zinc, and vitamin B12) and when used in recipes that incorporate other important food groups, especially vegetables (like in Ground Beef Stroganoff).
Most often, my easy ground beef recipes are inspired by world cuisines, like this Taco Skillet and this Korean Beef Bowl.
Until this simple skillet recipe came along, it didn’t occur to me to cook beef with something as basic as white potatoes, because I assumed the results would be ho-hum.
Ummmmm, this assumption is from the same girl who easily demolished an entire sheet pan of these Oven Roasted Potatoes by herself and who happily eats a Potato Frittata three days in a row for lunch.
Nice logic, Erin. (Ben I am sure would be happy to give you endless examples of my contradictory behaviors, but we’ll save that for a different post. Or never.)
While the ingredient list here looks basic, the results are anything but dull.
This ground beef and potatoes skillet is homey and classic to be certain—so yes, the “meat and potatoes” persons in your life will approve—but it’s also interesting enough to appease those seeking more from their meal.
What we have is a ground beef dinner idea for all!
For another family favorite, check out my Homemade Hamburger Helper, one of my all-time most popular recipes with ground beef. Ground Beef Casserole is another comforting and classic ground beef recipe.
Nov 27, 2023 · Chef John’s Shepherd Pie · Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers · Baked Ziti · Homemade Chili · Easy Homemade Meatballs · Taco Pizza · Ground Beef Stroganoff.Ground Beef Stroganoff · Ground Beef Teriyaki · Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
What is ground beef best for?
What is ground beef used to make?
What can I do with bad ground beef?