Ingredients for Italian Beef Sandwiches
Look for roasts in the meat section of your grocery store. Be sure to get a chuck roast. They are the queen of roasts. The dressing mix and seasonings combine with the zippy, and tangy pepperoncini for a must try taste.
Last week I asked my Facebook and Twitter friends if they’d like to see a crock pot recipe on the blog this week. There were so many exclamation marks in the comments, which I took to mean, ‘heck yes!’ that I immediately started brainstorming.
Everyone knows crock pot recipes are a busy person’s best friend but many of them can be heavy and unappealing at times. While brainstorming a new and interesting crock pot combo I decided the recipe would have to meet the following criteria:
With the aforementioned criteria in mind, I settled on Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches. A mouthwatering, 5-ingredient flavor combo that has just the right amount of zip and zing!
What Cut of Beef is Used for Italian Beef
The cut of beef used for Italian beef is typically chuck roast. However, top sirloin, top round, or bottom round would also work well.
- Giardiniera. A delicious blend of pickled vegetables that adds that wonderful, classic flavor to Italian beef.
Giardiniera is typically sold in a jar and can be found in the grocery store aisle with the other pickled vegetables.
Depending on how spicy you like your Italian beef, you can use either mild or spicy giardiniera.
- Pepperoncini. Pickled sweet chili peppers that add scrumptious flavor to the beef. A classic! (You’ll also love it in this Italian Chopped Salad.)
- Seasoning. A blend of Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and dried thyme give this classic Italian beef flavor. No need for the dressing mix.
- Provolone. No Italian beef sandwich is complete without a melty cheese. Provolone has a slight smokiness that I think pairs wonderfully with the beef.
- Hoagie Buns. The ideal vessel for all the drippy, flavor-packed beef goodness.
- Let the meat rest at room temperature. Salt the beef.
- Sear the beef, then transfer it to the slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan with beef broth, then add the liquid to the slow cooker.
- Stir the seasoning ingredients together, then sprinkle them over the beef.
- Add the peppers and giardiniera.
- Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Shred the beef. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Toast the buns at 350 degrees F for 5 to 7 minutes. Top the buns with the beef, cheese, and additional pepperoncini and giardiniera. DIG IN!
Browning the beef on the stove, then deglazing the pan and adding those tasty brown bits to the slow cooker along with it builds deeper, more complex flavor. It makes this the best homemade Italian beef you’ll ever taste!
Meal Plan Tip
Mix the seasoning ingredients together up to 1 day in advance. Cover and store at room temperature.
What to Serve with Italian Beef
- Slow Cooker. The key to our slow-cooked beef.
- Dutch Oven. Ideal for searing the meat.
- Extra Large Cutting Board. You’ll love all the extra space!
Ingredients for Italian Beef Sandwiches Look for roasts in the meat section of your grocery store. Be sure to get a chuck roast. They are the queen of roasts. The dressing mix and seasonings combine with the zippy, and tangy pepperoncini for a must try taste.
What cut of meat is Italian beef?
What kind of Italian beef does Portillo’s use?
What is the best cut of beef for roast beef sandwiches?
Is Italian beef deli meat?