This top round roast recipe turns a budget-friendly cut of beef into a flavorful and juicy roast. It’s a mostly hands-off meal that makes for an impressive main course that needs very little prep.
As much I love serving my family a sirloin tip roast or ribeye roast for a fancy beef dinner, it’s too pricy to enjoy regularly. Enter- my top round roast beef. It’s a much more affordable cut of the beef but also equally as elegant and incredibly easy to make.
I herb-crust the beef and transform it from a humble cut of meat into a masterpiece. Just like I do with my bottom round roast recipe, the secret to juicy meat is to sear the crust before roasting- it’s golden on the outside and fall-apart tender on the inside- Yum!Table of Contents
THE BEST ROAST BEEF RECIPE
This really is the best roast beef recipe for a couple of simple reasons.
- The rub that you make is so simple and only takes a few minutes.
- It’s also very versatile. If you have a rub that you really love, you could use that instead on this great recipe.
- You cook the meat in a roasting pan with a raised grate, that allows the air to circulate around it and cook it really evenly.
- The high temperature beginning makes for such a nice outside.
- This recipe cooks the roast so perfectly that you end up with a very moist piece of top round roast.
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
HOW TO COOK A TOP ROAST ROUND IN THE OVEN
The first thing you need to do is head to your local Meijer and get a four pound cut of Certified Angus Beef Top Round Roast. My Meijer didn’t have what I was looking for in the meat case, but the butcher was able to cut me something fresh right away!
The key to this recipe is starting out the roast at a really high temperature (450 degrees) to brown the outside, and then turning the heat down after fifteen minutes and finishing the roast off that way. It makes for a roast that is crisp and delicious on the outside and moist and tender on the inside.
If you are wondering the top round roast beef cooking time per pound, you should download the Roast Perfect App! It was made by the chefs at Certified Angus Beef. Not only does it tell you exactly how long to cook your meat, it tells you what size you should buy based on how many people you are looking to serve. It also has recipes, tips, and helps you select the perfect roast.
This recipe for a top round beef roast is just a slight variation on one of the amazing recipes that the chefs at Certified Angus Beef have come up with, because I just must tweak everything. But you will love all the great roast recipes that you find there.
Recipe tips and variations
- Bring to room temperature. Remember to take the meat out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. This gives it a chance to come down to room temperature, helping it cook evenly.
- Cook it fat side up. Roast the beef with the thin fat cap facing up. This helps the fat render and distribute throughout the rest of the meat, giving you extra tender and juicy beef.
- Cook to medium-rare. I know not everyone is a fan of meat that’s rare or medium-rare but this is the kind of roast that is designed to be enjoyed a little more pink in the middle. To ensure the meat is fully cooked, always use a meat thermometer to check. This beef is best enjoyed once it has an internal temperature of 135F-140F.
- Rest before slicing. When it’s done cooking, take the beef out of the oven and loosely place a large piece of foil over top. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes so the juices can redistribute throughout the meat. I know it’s a little more time-consuming but it really helps yield a more juicy and flavorful roast.
- Slice against the grain. The best way to slice roast beef is against the grain and into thin, even slices. This also is perfect for those sandwiches the next day, ha!
- Use a seasoning blend. A great way to save time is to swap the seasonings in the recipe for a store-bought Italian, Cajun, or Montreal steak seasoning blend.
- Use different herbs and spices. Swap the seasonings in the herb coating with your favorites! Dried parsley, dried sage, marjoram, garlic powder, onion flakes, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes would all be delicious. While fresh herbs may sound better, they don’t work as a coating for meat because they burn quickly.
This exact recipe can be cooked in several other ways and achieve the same delicious results. Here is what I have personally tested successfully-
- Pot roast: Keep the seasoned beef as it is then submerge it in a Dutch oven (my preferred pot) or stockpot (next best option) with 4-5 inches worth of beef broth. Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours.
- Slow cooker: This is a little more time-consuming but well worth it! Sear the seasoned beef in a skillet on all sides then add it to a slow cooker. Add enough beef broth to cover half the beef and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Please note that two methods will yield meat that falls off the bone versus tender sliced.
To store: Let the leftovers cool to room temperature and place them in an airtight container. The beef will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
To freeze: Wrap the beef in aluminum foil or place it in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for 2 to 3 months. Let the leftovers thaw in the fridge before reheating.
The best way to go all out is to use the leftovers in sandwiches, like a Italian beef sandwich.
You can also toss the thinly sliced roast beef with your favorite combination of salad greens, fresh veggies, and dressing, just like in this steak salad recipe. And when your beef stew or vegetable soup needs extra bulk, stir in the leftover meat!
Rating 5.0 (411) · 1 hr 25 minNov 28, 2018 · Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Then reduce the oven to 325 degrees and bake for an hour or until an instant read thermometer reads 135 to
How long does it take to cook a roast beef at 350?
Type of roast
Sirloin strip roast Whole
1½ – 1¾ hours
Sirloin strip roast Half (5-6 lbs)
Top sirloin roast Whole
12-15 mins / lb
Top sirloin roast Half
17-20 mins / lb
Is top round roast good for roasting?
How do you tenderize a top round roast?
Should roast beef be 325 or 350?