How Long Does Tomcat Mouse Poison Take To Work

In October 2019, pest control chiefs warned that the UKs population of 120 million rats (nearly double the human population of 67 million) would soon be scurrying into homes to escape the winter cold.

Since time immemorial, rats have been a constant thorn for humans. They pollute food and water and are super-spreaders for several ailments such as the bubonic plague and typhus. Rodents also cause structural damage to homes and buildings.

If you are battling a significant rat infestation, rat poison is the fastest way to reduce your home or building population. But if youve set the baits, you may be wondering, “How long does it take for the rat poison to work?”

Once a rodent nibbles a lethal dose of the bait, they will begin to die within 24 to 48 hours. It only takes a very small amount of Tomcat’s bait to kill each nibbling pest.

How does Tomcat rat poison work?

This poison works just like your typical rodent control bait. Position the bait station where your rats or mice like to hang out. Wait for a while until they notice the deadly yummies, crawl inside the bait box, and munch on the bait.

After that, they will most likely crawl back out and head to their ‘rooms’, where they will die within a few days from poisoning. Remember that all Tomcat solutions are EPA-approved for both indoor and outdoor applications.

Tomcat rat solution: Price

Now, as for the price tag, of course, this rodent killer is not the cheapest on the market. However, it’s very good. It works when nothing else does. In addition to this, the bucket is huge, so you will always have some of the stuff left just in case the nasty property invaders decide to make a comeback. Overall, great value for your money!

Overall score: 4.5 / 5

Tomcat vs D-CON rat poison: The choice is always up to you


  • Active Ingredient: 99% food grade ingredients
  • Included Items: Bait Station with Bait
  • Item Weight: 0.06 Ounces
  • Item Dimensions LxWxH: 3.75 x 9.56 x 10.19 inches
  • Target Species: Mice
  • Both these solutions are similar in use: just position them where rats and/or mice are most active and wait. Even though dCON doesn’t contain neurotoxins or anti-coagulants and, therefore, is considered to be safer, you should keep (and use) any kind of poison out of reach of your children and domestic animals.

    It’s interesting that some d-CON products have been canceled by EPA for not meeting their safety standards. Both Tomcat and dCON (also spelled as ‘Decon’ by its users) are non-instant rodent killers.

    That’s not too bad, for it means they’re safer for humans and pets. Tomcat is immensely potent, and, i.e., reasonable to apply in large rural areas, while dCON is highly recommended for indoor use. Cutting to the chase, if you’re on the hunt for the most budget-friendly (and effective) poison, then Tomcat might be your best bet.


    How long will a mouse live after eating poison?

    If poison is used, it is essential that baiting points are located in dry places and are fully protected from access by children, pets, or other animals. Importantly, do not expect instant results as it can take 3 – 10 days for mice to die after eating the poison.

    How long does mice poison take to work?

    If you buy a first-generation rodent poison, it will usually take about seven days for the rodent to die. The reason is that the lethal dose takes multiple feeding sessions. A second-generation poison can kill the rodent from internal bleeding in two to three days. It has a faster efficacy rate.

    Will mice take poison back to the nest?

    Mice that have taken poison return to their nest and die. This may cause a smell, however, this should go after a short while depending on how warm the nest is. Nests are difficult to locate so it is not recommended that you attempt to remove them. It is essential to repair mouse damage to prevent further infestations.

    What does Tomcat poison do to mice?

    The Tomcat All-Weather Bait Chunx deliver an effective punch that acts throughout several days. While the long wait is a bit inconvenient, the result justifies it. The poison kills the rats and works long-term, resisting moisture and mold for lasting protection.

    Related Posts